Madine Family

Mothers, birth-mothers, and "wanna be" mothers

1

Posted on : 5/06/2011 | By : Joanna

As we approach Mother’s Day, I am beyond grateful to be a mom…finally. I praise God for His many blessings! While my heart is full, it also aches.  Today and every day, my thoughts turn to our daughter’s birth-mom, the most beautiful spirit I have ever met. She is a part of our daughter and a part of our hearts. We miss her. We long for her. We cry for her. We pray for her. I cannot imagine her pain…her loss. She is an amazing mother. If there are any birth-moms reading this, know that you are loved, honored, and cherished.

My thoughts also turn to the women, many are my friends, who are trying to start a family. I was in the same boat not too long ago. I know first had the agony of uncertainty, the loss, the torture of the highs and lows, hope and despair, living your life a couple of weeks at a time. I know all about the endless string of baby showers, everyone you know getting pregnant seemingly without much difficulty, the unknowingly hurtful comments from friends…it all sucks…a lot. I remember being a church on Mother’s Day a couple o f years ago when they asked for all of the mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers to stand up for a round of applause (I had just lost our second child a couple of months before). I sat there for what seemed like an eternity…with all of the children and men…chanting in my head “don’t burst into tears, don’t burst into tears”.  For those of you struggling, I don’t have any words of comfort….just know that I know.

This year, I am finally a mom. I am grateful and fully aware of how sweet it is. THIS year in church I will stand…and probably still burst into tears. I’m kind of picturing something like a scene out of The Lion King… with me holding my daughter above my head. LOL!

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Comments (1)

Domestic adoption was the only thing that ever even made me feel like I could remotely relate to what it might be like to TTC. It was horrible and i felt like my heart was constantly ripped out, run over, jumped on top of, beat with a baseball bat and then put back into my chest...and I had already birthed 3 children! It was a horrible...and I know that I still won't ever even relate to what women like you go through when everyone around them is having babies! I'm SO SO SO glad that Maeve is now home with you forever and I can't wait to find out about when she has a brother or sister. :) Happy Mommys Day!!!!!!

Post a Comment