Madine Family

Hair

3

Posted on : 1/12/2011 | By : Joanna

Let's talk about hair. Hair is a big deal to most women, but certainly to African American women. I know this, because when sharing the news about our adoption, it was the first concern/question from African American women. :) I wanted to blog about this because I've learned a lot form other people's blogs and youtube videos..and thought I'd share what I've learned so far.

First of all, my daughter's hair is gorgeous. I just LOVE those little curls! Her hair is soft and fine (very typically Ethiopian). I want her to LOVE her natural hair, to be proud of it, and appreciate it...not try to manipulate it to look like someone else's idea of beauty. So as a mom, I'd better know how to take care of it and teach her how to as she grows up.

I don't have all the answers yet, but I have learned that it is all about trial and error. I try to use all natural products without any drying agents like alcohol. Her hair can dry out very easily and actually break off, so moisture is the name of the game.

Here's our routine right now:
Shampoo once a week: I wash her hair once a week with an all natural shampoo (Beautiful Curls: Shea Butter Curl Activating Shampoo- available at Whole Foods). I usually do this on Sunday nights. In preparation for her shampoo, Saturday night I rub a little olive oil through her hair with by fingers and massage her scalp. The hair absorbs the moisture and then the shampooing doesn't strip off too much moisture. When shampooing, I focus mainly on massaging her scalp, trying no to disturb the curls or knot up her hair. I don't rub the hair all over the place like I would my hair. I rinse it thoroughly and the curls get washed as the suds are rinsed out.  I then apply a conditioner. Right now I'm using "Tiny Twirls Detailing Conditioner" by Kinky Curly- also available at Whole Foods). As she gets older she will probably do a deep condition treatment once a week or so. The Tiny Twirls in not specifically a leave in conditioner, but that's how I use it and don't have any problems with build up. I apply about 1/2 tablespoon of conditioner and work it through her hair in sections from the root to the tip. I then take a wide tooth comb and separate the curls. If I run into any tangles (not many since her hair is so short), I'll comb them out with a finer comb, holding the hair at the root and gently combing in short strokes starting at the end. The ends are where most of the tangles are anyway and are usually caused by the hair wrapping around a little piece of lint. Most of her hair naturally goes into tiny spring-like ringlets, but some sections need a little help, so I twist those around my finger to create the curl. I dab her hair with a towel and let the rest air dry. 

Co-Washing (Conditioner washing): I co-wash her hair twice a week (usually Tues & Fri). There is enough detergent in conditioner to clean her hair and scalp. Wet the hair, massage the scalp with conditioner, rinse, add a little conditioner back in, help some of the curls along, dab dry, air dry.

Morning refresh: (less than 10 mins) In the morning I spray her hair with  water and olive oil mix (1/3 olive oil). I'll add a tiny bit of conditioner (just rub it between my hands and blot on her hair). I then melt a tiny bit of coconut oil (found at whole foods, a little goes a log way) in a tiny glass bowl in the microwave (only takes 10 seconds). I get the tips of my finger lightly coated and then start twisting little sections. This helps encourage the curls, cuts down on frizz and seals in the moisture. As it dries, the curls take shape.  

The only way to keep her still for hair stuff is to put her in her high chair, turn on Sesame Street, and give her a teething biscuit and maybe a bottle of water. I tried giving her cheerios, but she kept saying "More" every two seconds and the process took forever. :)

These are her beautiful natural curls.

This is how long they are stretched out. She's beginning to grow some more hair on the sides, now that she's being treated for scalp ringworm.  Can't wait until the sides are as thick as the top.
Here's what it looks like a few hours later.
THIS is her very first hair-do. They are called Bantu knots. The top ones look great, but the ones on the sides are a bit anemic. I had to use these little cotton bands because it's all I had on hand. I know the parts are perfect either, but not bad for our first time. These sort of Up-dos (twists, cornrows, braids, etc.) are called "protective hair styles". They help keep the hair moisturized and protects against breakage as it grows. 
Our cutie!



Comments (3)

I haven't tried bantu knots yet, I can't wait to try!

Love it! She is so beautiful. And her hair looks almost exactly like Esther's. I do pretty much the same routine and just found the detangling conditioner you mentioned. It is my favorite hair stuff right now. I LOVE it for her hair. I also use it as a leave-in and do the twists while it is very wet in her hair. Beautiful beautiful Ethiopian hair. Thanks for sharing :-)

cool post. i barely do much of anything for Sorette's hair, but i love hearing what others do-and probably what i should be doing :)

Post a Comment